Speak Lao by Creating Your Own Lao Phrases - SOLD OUT• The unique Fetch-a-Phrase system of template sentences and color-coded word lists gives you the ability to make up thousands of Lao phrases without having to study Lao.
• Lao Phrasemakers were made by a traveller for travellers and are geared to have you speaking basic Lao in the shortest possible time.
• Lao Phrasemakers:
• Lao Phrasemaker - $8.95
• To get an idea of how the Fetch-a-Phrase system works, please visit the how to page.
About LaoLao, or Laotian, is the principle language of the Lao People's Democratic Republic. It is spoken as a first language by the majority of Laos' six million people and is the most widely spoken first language of north eastern Thailand.
Lao is in the same sub-group of the sino-tibetan language family as Thai, as a result the two languages are often mutually intelligible.
The Lao script is based on the Khmer script, which in its turn was based on Devanagari writing system of Southern India.
Lao is a tonal language; the pitch of the voice is altered when saying the vowels thereby changing the meaning of words. Most of the words are monosyllabic, i.e., comprised of one syllable. Polysyllabic words are generally loan words from other languages.
Basic Lao is fairly easy: verbs don't conjugate, tenses are very simple to construct, nouns don't have plural forms and the general word order is very similar to English.
• ThaiLao.net: good general information about Lao
• Omniglot: information about the Lao script
• Wikipedia: information about the structure of Lao
|home products how to contact links blog sitemap
contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
© Copyright, Jonathan Smith & Fetch-a-Phrase, 2005